Flexibility (the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint) is one of CrossFit’s 10 general physical skills, seemingly just as important as strength, power, speed, and endurance. And yet, most CrossFitters completely ignore this component of fitness. As Kelly Starrett put it, “Stretching sucks. You can’t brag about your best stretching time, you don’t get to write your stretch PR on the wall, and there is no immediate ‘Fran”-like gratification that you are really tough.” But let’s face it; a lack of flexibility can wreak havoc on your body. If you have tight hips, quads, or hamstrings, and you do nothing to fix that, you are missing out on a potentially heavier squat or a faster row split, and you are allowing that inflexibility to get in between you and a stronger, faster, and better you.
Enter in the new Yoga class at Bridger CrossFit. This class will be different from the workouts you’ve become accustomed to; we’ll be focusing more stretching and mobility, and less on “working out”. Imagine using Cobra Pose to breath life into your lower back after a hard deadlift workout!
What you can expect:
- No Shoes- No trendy “barefoot” shoes here. This is the real thing baby.
- Chill Music- There will be music and it will be different!
- Focus on the breath- What do you think about before you pick up that heavy barbell? What do you rely on towards the end of the WOD in the face of exhaustion? What’s the only thing you can hear in your ears when the workout is over? That’s right, your own breath.
- Yoga Poses- Through static and dynamic yoga poses, we will work on the most commonly neglected and profoundly under-addressed areas of a CrossFitters body, like the hamstrings, quads, shoulders, glutes, psoas, calves and hips.
- PranaWOD- Your “prana” is your breath, your life-force. Yoga is a practice linked entirely to breath, and it shouldn’t be any different in a WOD. We’ll take what we’ve learned at the beginning of class and throw it into a short, but intense workout, where the focus will be your breath.
- Mobility Work- Using yoga poses, foam rollers, lacrosse balls and bands, we will get deep into your tightest spots.
- Relaxation- The last 10 minutes of every class will be devoted to this. No, Mr. or Mrs. CrossFitter, you may not leave early. This is the Yin to your daily Yang!
Yoga will improve your joint range of motion, increase muscle and tendon flexibility, and promote smoother lifting and coordination. At the same time you will cultivate patience and focus, which will allow you to honor, rather than resist, the intensity of your day-to-day training and workouts. So let’s energize, align, and discover why so many CrossFit Games athletes use yoga to up their game.
Class is 60 minutes with Natascha and meets every Sunday morning at 10:00 am.
Max Effort Press
AMRAP in 7
3 DeadLifts 275/185
5 Clapping Pushups
7 Lateral Jumps over bar