Trust us, we’ve tried two! By the way, for all intents and purposes, sweet potatoes and yams, where we live, are the same. What we call yams are generally orange, sweet potatoes yellow….but they’re pretty much the same. A true yam is actually unrelated to the sweet potato. Of course I am no horticulturist so correct me, somebody, if I am wrong!
Delicious Sweet Potato Chews
I wish I could take credit for these delicious post-workout treats, but alas, I did not even like yams until I tried these! The original recipe can be found here. But, to summarize:
- Bake yams at 325 (degrees Fahrenheit of course!) for about an hour. I usually set it to “bake time 1 hour” and then come back to it much, much later. Oh! Don’t forget to put yams on tin foil in the oven so your oven doesn’t get sticky
- Once yams are cool, peel and slice into thin slices. The recipe recommends 1/2 cm, which is 0.19 inches for those of you not metrically-inclined. If you make them too thin, you end up with delicious sweet potato…crisps, that might burn, and therefore not be delicious anymore.
- Melt coconut oil (a couple of big spoonfulls will do nicely) and pour over sweet potatoes, which you have since lined neatly on parchment paper. Who needs a pastry brush! Use the back of a spoon to spread out the oil.
- Dust generously with cinnamon.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 (degrees Fahrenheit, of course!). Make sure not to over-do these. You want them to be chews, not crisps! (You can see in my photo which ones turned into crisps! They are still good….but not as good)
- Try not to eat in one sitting.
Still have a hankering for something yummy and sweet? Is candy sounding like a must have? Try this instead!
1 Large yam, sliced
1/4 Cup Mayo
1/8 Cup Honey or Real Maple syrup (read your labels)
Salt to taste
Heat the oven to 350. Cover baking pan with aluminum foil (who ever is doing the dishes can thank me later). Coat pan with coconut oil. In large boil mix mayo with honey (or maple syrup), mix in sliced yams, coat yams with mixture. Place coated yam slices in pan, salt, and place in oven. Cook for 5-10min, flip and return to oven for another 5-10min. Cook until yams are cooked through and slightly browned. Removed from oven and try to keep from licking the pan. These taste a bit like candy, consume with caution!Try this for when the crack attack is really got ya! This is not recommended for the ‘strict’ paleo, nor would I eat this every day especially if the goal is weight loss.